Monday, February 27, 2012

Love is the Reason

I feel that there are a lot of important things in the world, but none more important than the marriage relationship. Recently I have been thinking a lot about worldly physical things we esteem or hold in high priority.  Some people may see their car as the most important thing in our life. When the  car gets a dent or scratch we probably get extremely mad without regards to the other party. This may not just be with worldly possessions but also possibly with arguments and other trials that we go through. In my Family Relations class we discussed the word "Crisis", and how when we are in a crisis it is an opportunity for us to grow stronger and work on our family relationships. This topic really hit me this week. I had an opportunity this week to work on this. If you know me you know that a prized possession for me is my iPod Touch. Well this week it got broken... My wife was using it and tossed it onto the couch, something that I do all the time. This time however, it hit something on the couch and the screen cracked. I didn't notice it at first but I saw little pieces of glass on the couch and my first thought was that our camera broke or something. When I picked up my iPod and noticed that it was broken, my first thought was not that y wife was careless or that it was all her fault. It was that when she found out about it she would be so upset. I was so worried that she would be mad even though it wasn't even her iPod. When I told her what had happened I started off by saying that I loved her more than anything, she looked at me and asked what was wrong and I told her that my iPod broke when  she tossed it onto the couch. She immediately started freaking out and crying and saying she was so sorry, but I just told her that it was okay, that it didn't matter because I love her more than my iPod.

I think this could apply to a lot of things in our lives. When someone in our family hurts us are we immediately thinking of a way to get revenge? Or are we realizing that it is okay and that we can forgive someone easily because we love them. Or are we making a bigger deal out of things that don't really matter? We should step back and take a look at what things really matter to us in our lives. Do we put such an importance on video games, movies, electronics, or other hobbies that we miss what is right in front of us? The gospel of Jesus Christ is plain and precious. It helps us and gives us the information we need to make informed decisions and realize what is important in our lives.

Most Important
By Lola H. Houmes

The fingers started to dispute,
And each one took his stand
To prove himself to be the most
Important to the hand.

Now, Thumb was first to state his case:
He asked the others whether
They realized 'twas he alone
Who held them all together.

"That may be true," First Finger said,
"But living day by day
Calls for a true and faithful guide,
'Tis I who points the way."

Then Second Finger rose in turn
To prove that he was the best. 
"Remember, I'm the tallest one,
And I protect the rest."

"It's long been true," Third Finger said,
"That I'm most worthy of
The highest honor, since I'm asked
To wear the ring of love."

Then Little Finger took his place
And told the others there
How useful was his smaller reach
When each one did his share.

And so they stopped their arguing,
For they could plainly see
That none is most important.
Now each serves happily.

We just simply need to understand that the relationships are the most important and nothing can take their place. Those relationships should be our utmost priority. We need to constantly be checking and making sure that we are are not replacing those important things with stuff that gives us momentary pleasure. The love that we have for others will last much longer if love is the reason for doing things.  

No comments:

Post a Comment